Welcome!

Are you being overlooked by college recruiters?

Walk-onAthletes.com's goal is to open the lines of communication to help overlooked high school athletes play football beyond high school and earn a scholarship.

There are many high school recruiting sites out there, but no other site caters to the majority of high school athletes, which are the athletes NOT receiving athletic scholarships. I understand how important it is for you to fully understand the process before you begin on this course, and I am here to help.

You have stumbled upon one of the few web sites that encourage you to pursue your dreams and earn that college scholarship.

Friday, February 19, 2010

Q&A... "Dead Periods"

Well my name is "John Smith", I'm 18 years old, 6'1 & 245lbs. I played varsity football for 3 years, and during my junior & senior seasons I made the all city team. I played defensive end/tackle, offensive tackle & guard. As my season ended I was looking forward to receiving offers. But reality hit me, I received two D-2 offers & three D-3 offers.
I just recently got accepted into my 1st choice college, XYZ University(D-1aa) and it is my dream to some how walk-on to their football team. I've tried contacting the assistant coaches via email but they always read it and never replied. I felt discouraged a bit. But I'm not giving up this early, I don't want to give up at all. I'm determined, I'm from a forgotten city waiting to get my shot. I had team mates that got full rides to D-1 schools, and I know that could be me.
I'm currently playing varsity basketball to work on my footwork & to keep me in shape during these long winter months.
Like where should I start? What should I work on?
Do you have any advice or words of encouragement for me?

My reply to "John"

Thanks for the email. First things first, definitely dont get discouraged yet, it is way to early in the process. FYI, there are certain dead periods where coaches are not allowed to contact you, regardless if you are being offered a scholarship or not, so dont take it personally because it might fall into that time. Also, as you said, signing day just ended so XYZ is probably busy trying to get their roster filled and see where their needs are. Give it a couple more weeks and try again with the coaches, I would try your specific D-Line coach, the D-Coordinator, and then even the Director of Football operations and tell him your intentions. Sometimes coaches put emails like yours aside because they dont have to take you seriously until your enrolled, so it takes some bugging to get your point.

In terms of preparing, keep doing what your doing with basketball and then start training until football season, make sure to give just enough time to agility and speed as long as the weight room. Do some DL drills as well to perfect your craft.

Hope this helps a bit.

Good luck!

For more about NCAA Dead Periods, please go to the following:

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/portal/ncaahome?WCM_GLOBAL_CONTEXT=/wps/wcm/connect/ncaa/NCAA/Legislation+and+Governance/Eligibility+and+Recruiting/Recruiting/Recruiting+Calendars/2008-09/2008-09+Division+I+Football+Recruiting+Calendar

No comments: